AdBlock for Chrome and Firefox allow you to use a keyboard shortcut to quickly pause and resume ad blocking. If you're more of a mouse person, you can also select a command on the page's context (right-click) menu in Chrome, Firefox, and (soon) Microsoft Edge.
Pause and unpause AdBlock using a keyboard shortcut in Chrome and Firefox
Windows: Ctrl+. (hold the Ctrl key and press the period key)
MacOS: Cmd+. (hold the Cmd key and press the period key)
The command is a toggle: Press the key combination once to pause AdBlock. Press again to unpause.
- In Firefox, the AdBlock icon in the browser toolbar doesn't turn back to red when you unpause using the keyboard shortcut. This is a bug in AdBlock and will be fixed in an upcoming release.
- Microsoft Edge doesn't allow extensions to assign keyboard shortcuts.
Change or remove the keyboard shortcut
If AdBlock's default keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+. or Cmd+.) conflicts with a shortcut used by another extension, you can change it easily in Chrome.
Note: As of this writing, the stable release of Firefox doesn't provide a way to change an extension's keyboard shortcuts. This feature has been added to the Nightly release, however. Based on past experience with Mozilla's release schedule, the feature should make its way into the stable release by May or June 2019. Until then, the only way to disable the pause/resume keyboard shortcut in Firefox is to disable AdBlock.
To change or remove the keyboard shortcut in Chrome:
1. Open chrome://extensions.
2. Click the "hamburger menu."
3. Select Keyboard shortcuts.
4. Click the box next to "Toggle Pause/Resume on all sites." This is where you will assign a new key combination to the shortcut.
5. Press the keys you want to assign. To remove the shortcut entirely, click the "x" at the edge of the box.
Pause and unpause AdBlock using the page context menu in Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge
Right-click the page and select AdBlock > Pause on this site or AdBlock > Pause on all sites.
If you are viewing a whitelisted page or site, the context menu changes:
To unpause AdBlock, right-click the page and select Resume blocking ads.
Right-click the page and select AdBlock > Pause AdBlock.
To unpause AdBlock, right-click the page and select AdBlock > Unpause AdBlock.