Are you getting one of the following errors when you try to install an update to the AdBlock for Safari Mac app?
“AdBlock” cannot be updated because its extensions are in use by “Safari”. Click OK and quit the application.
"AdBlock" cannot be open during installation. Click Continue to quit "AdBlock" and begin the update. The application will open when the update is complete.
As with all Mac apps, you need to quit AdBlock before the App Store will install the update. What makes the AdBlock app a little more confusing than other apps is that it runs in the background. You can't see it, and you may not even know that it's open.
Solution 1: Click Continue
If you see the second error shown above, just click Continue. It all goes well, the app will close, the update will be installed, and the app will open, once again in the background.
Solution 2: Turn off "Start at Login" setting
If you clicked Continue but you're still getting that error, here's what to do:
- Open Safari if it isn't already.
- In Safari > Preferences > Extensions, disable both AdBlock Icon and AdBlock Engine.
- Click the AdBlock icon in the MacOS menu bar and deselect (uncheck) Start AdBlock at Login.
- Quit both AdBlock and Safari, then return to the App Store and try to install the AdBlock update again.
Solution 3: Force the app to quit
But what if you see the first warning? How can you quit an application you can't see?
- Click OK to dismiss the error.
- Follow Steps 1 through 3 under "Solution 2," above.
- Quit Safari.
- Follow the instructions below to force AdBlock to quit, then return to the App Store and try to install the AdBlock update again.