Start a new topic

Whitelist Verified News Sources

In an age of declining readership and advertising revenue, newspapers are struggling to stay afloat as they compete with bogus 'news' sites and a combative anti-news culture. 

Newspapers are a valuable source of information, especially on the local level. 

I would like there to be an exception list of official newspapers that are automatically whitelisted. The Alliance for Audited Media has a running list of verified news sources from which you can pull.

I do not like ads, and I have been a subscriber to adblock since 2009. However, since seeing ads is the price of valuable journalism (as it has been since the 1800s) then I am game. 

-Kevin

1 person likes this idea

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think it's a terrific idea. Do you have a link to that list? I wasn't able to find it on the AAM site.

Warm regards,

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

1 person likes this

I sense a question about Filter Lists.

Hi there Kevin, I'm blastoise186. While I'm not part of the AdBlock Team, I am a regular on the forums. My answers can't be "official" as such, but they can still be helpful.

I might have found some insight on this, but it only solves half the puzzle I'm afraid.

A quick search on their website later and I dug up this Knowledgebase Article as well as this one from their support pages. While it would probably be pretty easy for someone to turn this kind of data into an AdBlock Filter List and there's some info on how that works here, I'm not sure whether AAM would charge for access to their data just for the purposes of grabbing a list of titles - that might need some more detective work.

I do indeed agree with the idea and I think the easiest way to implement it would be as a "new" Filter List for which users could turn on or off as they choose.

The reasons I think that would work better are:

• Maintains user choice over this kind of filter
  • Doesn't bloat EasyList with filter rules that it's not intended for
  • It's probably easier to monitor/moderate than the main Acceptable Ads list
  • Doesn't put too much strain on existing filter lists & allows fresh contributors to help out
  • It may also help to avoid choking AdBlock by having to run through a bunch of other Filters that aren't relevant to a users choices

These are just my own thoughts as an experienced AdBlock user and they aren't the official opinion of the AdBlock team. But I'd be interested to hear their opinions too!

Hi Matthew and Kevin,

I think your suggestions are good, Matthew. I've passed them on to our team. I'll post any replies here. :)

Warm regards,

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Login or Signup to post a comment