Start a new topic

Fake donation request?

Two days ago I got a message from "adBlock", asking for a donation. 

I payed some money to the name "Benjamin Dijsselbloem" with the email address "lemonandrice@gmail.com".

I didn't get any mail from this person after I donated, which made me suspicious.

Has anyone any knowledge of this? 

Thanks

Hi Torrobin44,

That wasn't us. I found a Benjamin Dijsselbloem on LinkedIn, not sure it's the same person. Lemonrice, however, is the developer of a Firefox extension called Video Blocker. It's the same email address, lemonandrice@gmail.com. Maybe that's who sent you the message.

If you confirm that's where the donation request originated, I recommend you send a follow-up email to that address. If you still get no reply, you might want to report the developer to Mozilla.

Good luck. I hope everything works out all right!

Warm regards,

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Hey there!

I find it a bit strange that you came across that one, because I noticed the "Video Blocker" add-on for Firefox was last Updated on 15th August 2016 - which is almost two years ago - and the Opera version has been untouched since 15th July 2015 yet on Chrome the last Update was on 20th May 2018.

I'm not saying that it's a dodgy extension or that there's anything wrong with it - partly because this is the first time I've ever heard of it - but it does seem odd that support for two out of three Browsers appears to have been "abandoned" by its Developer and a request like that suddenly appears.

I can't really give a detailed opinion on something like that because I don't know enough about it though.

I can't decide what Chrome Extensions you should and should not use as that's your choice rather than mine. However if you are concerned about it, then you can easily Uninstall them.

Login or Signup to post a comment