Start a new topic

Why can't AdBlock work invisibly without tipping off web sites?

Many web sites refused to load and demanded that I disable AdBlock first?  What's the point if AdBlock can't work WITHOUT tipping off its presence to web sites?

1 Comment

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your question. This is one of the complaints we receive most often, and we totally get why it's so frustrating. We feel the same way.

Sites can detect you're using an ad blocker very easily. Ad blockers work by preventing ad resources from downloading. All a site needs to do is to try to download a little test resource that's designed to look like an ad. If the download fails, the site knows an ad blocker is being used. That's just the most common test; I believe there are others as well.

The only way to keep the tests from running is to disable JavaScript in your browser. So technically, it's possible for your ad blocker to go undetected, yes. But you will lose some functionality on the site. A lot of sites rely on JavaScript for pretty much everything that's interesting to most visitors. It may not make much difference if you're just reading an article on a news site, of course. Just something to keep in mind.

We have more information about this here: A site is forcing me to turn off AdBlock before it will let me in

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Login or Signup to post a comment