Start a new topic
Implemented

Facebook Pixel Removal

Good evening,

I have had the misfortune of watching the CEO of Facebook get a grilling from The Senate. Whilst he was answering a string of questions something became apparent.

There is two-way communication between the websites we visit and Facebook, purely for advertising purposes. Due to the Facebook Pixel this has been made possible (likely using IP addresses or such like).

Can you code AdBlock in such a way that it automatically removes the Facebook Pixel from the websites we visit, this would need to be an opt-in feature I guess. Some people might be happy for Facebook to make money off of their web browsing habits.

Thanks in advance.

Hi TonyUK72,

Facebook's predatory "privacy" policies are a huge concern. The EasyPrivacy filter list blocks things that track you across the web, including Facebook's pixel. To ensure you're not tracked using your social media presence, you can also subscribe to the Antisocial filter list.

Both are available on the FILTER LISTS tab in AdBlock's options.

Note, the Antisocial filter list prevents you from logging in to sites using social media accounts. And EasyPrivacy can break functionality on some pages. Pausing AdBlock long enough to do what you need to takes care of any issues.

Warm regards,

Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Hey there,

I wonder if I might be able to track down either the specific Filter Rules in EasyPrivacy and/or Anti-Social lists - I might then be able to give you that one without breaking everything else.

Given my skills I might also be able to craft one myself. I'll keep you posted!

blastoise186

Oh Yeah, result!

Hi @TonyUK72 it's blastoise186 here again.

I'm not one of the AdBlock team so my posts are as a user, but I do try to help out with a few things.

I'm sorry this took a while, but I've managed to track down some relevant Filter Rules for Facebook Pixel that are found in the EasyPrivacy Filter List.

I can provide them to you in this post so that you can add them as Custom Filter Rules just for yourself.

For details of how you can add them to AdBlock, check out this guide which was written by Rhana which gives you some useful info of how Custom Filters work - and most importantly - some of the potential pitfalls that you might get from them.

If you're OK with that, here's the Custom Filter Rules that I've tracked down. They're only for Facebook Pixel and shouldn't affect anything else, but you can always remove them later if you have trouble.

||pixel.facebook.com^
/fb-pixel.js
||pixel.facebook.com^$domain=facebook.com
@@||pixel.facebook.com/ajax/gigaboxx/endpoint/UpdateLastSeenTime.php?$image
@@||pixel.facebook.com/ajax/notifications/mark_read.php?*&alert_ids%$image

These are the relevant ones I'm aware of from the EasyPrivacy list, you would need to copy all of them as above.

Hope that helps!

blastoise186

Hey Matthew,

Awesome work, thanks so much! Thanks as well for including the link to our custom filters article, which contains some important caveats.

:) Rhana

Hi TonyUK72,

A quick note to follow on Matthew's post... Please keep in mind that we don't provide support for custom filters. That is, I'll help as much as I can. However, since our support team consists of exactly one person (me), and I support close to 65 million users now, and custom filters can break at literally any time if a site changes something... (pause for breath; sorry for the run-on sentence)... I just don't have the resources to offer in-depth help if a custom filter stops working or breaks something.

For assistance with custom filters, I refer folks to the EasyList forums. That's where the list authors and filter list experts tend to hang out. They're usually pretty responsive and happy to help if you ask nicely. :)

Warm regards,

Rhana

Login or Signup to post a comment