Start a new topic

AdBlock Fails on some websites

Hello all, 

I am sorry if I am posting this in a wrong place. this is my first time. 

I always use adBlock and 99% successful. but there are some news websites recently that your program fails to remove the adds. some of these ads really look like a news but it is not from that webpage! Here is the example of a link that your program fails to remove all the ads:
https://www.almasdarnews.com/

would you please give some instructions on what to do? 

turning off and then on did not solve the issue! 

Thank you

Thanks for confirming those filters, Matthew! I'll make sure Brent gets the word.

:) Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

1 person likes this

(sorry if this double posts, Project Sprint bugs are fun... Rhana could you trim out the second one if it does?)

Hi again!

I've finally managed to get those Custom Filters into Project Sprint - something is making it take a very long time to load the Settings pages up but I can eventually get around it.

@Brent I've tested your Custom Filters three times, and I can tag them with Verified as Solution by Blastoise186

Thanks for working on that one, can it added to the official AdBlock Custom Filters List (and the same for Project Sprint) please?

@droid.usa.3 These Custom Filters worked for me, so here's a Quick Start Guide from Rhana on setting them up for yourself too

You'll want to add these two below:

almasdarnews.com#?#.wpb_column:-abp-has(iframe)
almasdarnews.com#?#.td-post-content:-abp-has(iframe)

As an AdBlock PowerUser myself I do use a more heavily tweaked (and somewhat experimental) setup than most users do, but these should work for anyone.

Credit to AdBlock Dev Brent for that :)

I would have tested them but something appears to be broken in both AdBlock and Project Sprint, and I can't test the Custom Filters right now. @Brent did you release any updates recently? Subscribing, Unsubscribing and CV Updating Filter Lists appears to choke both AdBlock for Edge (I never use Edge for anything beyond AdBlock testing) and Project Sprint on Chrome 63. I thought I recognised the name somewhere. @Rhana I would provide my Debug data but I can't get to it since both crash when I open their Settings
Hey Brent! Thanks for providing me with your Custom Filters, I'll test drive them in my Project Sprint install as soon as I get back to my laptop. I'll let you know how I get on. That said, I need to file another Support Ticket or two regarding Project Sprint when I get a moment... Matthew

Matthew or Droid.usa.3

Please try these two custom filters:

almasdarnews.com#?#.wpb_column:-abp-has(iframe)

almasdarnews.com#?#.td-post-content:-abp-has(iframe)

-- Brent

1 person likes this

Thank you very much Matthew for the kind reply and digging into that website. 

Thanks, Matthew!

I'll also pass this site along to our developers. 

Hey Rhana and Droid.usa.3

I've done some digging on that site, and here's what I can tell you.

Although I am detecting traces of the usual culprits, this one is unusual.

You see, it doesn't appear to be a "normal" Ad at all... Because it never seems to change much even when I wipe out and reset my session using Chrome Guest Mode.

I begin to think whether this one is an "Ad" in the sense that we've ever seen, but to me it does have the hallmarks of Taboola or Outbrain (two of the networks I hate the most)...

Even my battle hardened Project Sprint setup is struggling on this one, so I think EasyList might need to take a closer look. I'll send them my results asap.

@droid.usa.3 Normally I would happily provide you with a temporary Custom Filter Rule to get rid of these pests while EasyList test and verify my fix, but I'm afraid I can't create a working one right now due to something I need to analyse further. Thanks for the report though! I'll keep drilling into this one and see what I can do. Given that a fair few KB Articles here are based on solutions myself and other users have found, there's a good chance I'll find something to block that Ad.

@Rhana while drilling into this one, I discovered a couple more bugs in Project Sprint, I'll Ticket them in a moment. Not particularly "big" ones but worth looking into when you have a moment.

Matthew aka blastoise186

Great, thanks, Matthew!

Hi,

I have an account over with Easylist Forums from previous reports. I'll check out whether this one is fixes and report it if needed.

I might also be able to work out a fix for it too. If I find one I will be sure to let them know :)

Hi Droid.usa.3

It looks as if these are new ads that the filter lists don't know how to block yet. I wish we could help, but we don't maintain the filter lists. Can you please report this to the list authors? They may be able to update their filters and get these ads blocked for everyone. :)

Rhana

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment