Start a new topic

Curated Ads

How would Curated Ads work?  We will never be able to completely remove all the unwanted ads from our lives, but we can use AI to ensure ALL ads are potentially interesting to us.  We can use Google interest lists if you give AdBlock permission to access say Google News preferences, browser search history, Quora read topics, webservice subscription themes and political survey responses.  This might require AdBlock to launch an opt-in app/extension, to help users manage and prioritize their interests.  A service that has potential revenue opportunities for other streaming services.  Or we could have AdBlock ask you to rate some Ads for theme value and let the software gradually learn what you like.  Eventually, Ads could become a source of learning and entertainment, customized especially for you, using the financial power of eCommerce to improve their production quality.  

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your suggestion! Even if this fell in our bailiwick (which it doesn't), we'd be a little late to the game. What you describe is pretty much the way both Google AdSense and Facebook's targeted ads already work. :)

Warm regards,

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Late to the game, like Apple was late to the game with the iPhone?  It is more imprortant to be well positioned in the market, than to get a first mover advantage, especially if the product requires customer education.  Your Ad Curation product has more revenue potential than AdBlock, and I would be happy to fund it if you guys allow me to own it with you.  I suggest hiring a small team to build it as a separate product.  I am retired, but have founded billion dollar companies, so you should take this suggestion seriously, and pass it up to your CEO.  Cheers.  www.linkedin.com/in/richardballard 

Hi Richard,

Ah, I think I see the confusion. We don't have an Ad Curation product and have no plans to make one. You may be thinking of Adblock Plus (ABP), which created and still has something of a controlling interest in the Acceptable Ads initiative. Adblock Plus is an unrelated product developed by a different company. You can reach them at https://adblockplus.org.

Warm regards,

Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Hey there,

As Rhana mentioned, the Acceptable Ads initiative was created a few years ago by a different company, but the Filter List it creates is designed to be compatible with many Ad-Blockers including AdBlock.

You can find the main AAI site at https://acceptableads.com or you can go here for the Criteria and to this page to apply for the Whitelist

You might also find the history of the names quite useful :)

Login or Signup to post a comment