Start a new topic

Warn the user about the Advanced Settings options

Hi Rhana,

This one is a bit of a spin off from #18870, but it's not quite a bug as such and more of a Feature Request, so I think it's better over this side.

After I mentioned about the "bug" in AdBlock the other day, your reply made for interesting reading - and it gave me a thought...

I now know that turning off the Show me Advanced Settings setting turns off everything that it covers... Even if it was after I mistakenly turned off and reset certain aspects of Project Sprint that I didn't want to turn off!

Anyway, while it does make sense to automatically turn off everything under the Advanced Settings area when turn off the button that shows them, you might want to put a warning in that lets me know it will do that before it does that - especially in Project Sprint (I think you might know why that's very relevant to it)!

Or perhaps you could add it to the KB somewhere, I can't find anything on this...

Just so that it helps to avoid "accidents" like the one I mentioned ;)

Oh, and by the way I always like to end on a high note with something funny, so here's today's example: 

As you can see, this screenshot was taken on right here on the AdBlock Forums, and those "scrambled letters" are definitely scrambled and can't possibly be read by a Bot now can they? xD

If anyone reading this is a bit confused, there was actually a time when the "scrambled letters" were actually there, but not any more!

You might remember there used to be a box that asked you to type in two words that changed every time you did it (probably not Rhana though, as the team can skip them)?

[enable history mode]

Well, that's the old way of doing it! Now I just have to click a box, let it spin for a few seconds (and solve the puzzle if it asks me to) and it should turn into a green tick - and ta da, I'm through. I know this works, as I've done these a good few thousand times now.

In fact, I've solved reCAPTCHA V2 "NoCAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" and the new "reCAPTCHA Invisible" so many times on my laptop over the years, that I'm pretty much trusted to the point where I never get asked to solve the Puzzles and I get the Green Tick in under two seconds almost every time :)

[/disable history mode]

Back to the AdBlock Forums... @Rhana could you change the CAPTCHA Description in the FD Settings to something like the below? It might help to explain the new reCAPTCHA V2 "NoCAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" better than the current one which was for reCAPTCHA V1.

To help us avoid spam bots, please click the "I'm not a robot" box and solve the puzzle (if one appears) until you get a Green Tick, then click Save.

Hope that's useful!

blastoise186

1 person likes this idea

Hey Matthew,

Those are both great points. I'll bring them up at our next planning meeting. Hopefully we can get this fixed in an upcoming release.

:) Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Thanks!

It did indeed make sense in the early days to shut down the Advanced Options automatically whenever a User turned off the option to show them, but that's where the sticking point comes in with Project Sprint - because it disabled a critical feature on my install without warning me.

I do wonder if that feature should break out of Advanced Mode and into Easy To Find Mode since it's a great feature? Make it separate from Advanced Mode = less risk of mistaken shutdown from turning off Advanced Mode :)

Thanks for letting the support vendor know - it's ironic they forgot to change it with the upgrade and the description doesn't look right at the moment!

Hey Matthew,

Thanks, as always, for the suggestion and the interesting context!

Until Project Sprint came along, there was nothing in AdBlock's advanced settings that needed to be preserved. Advanced settings only included showing debug statements in the browser console log, showing the links to the filter list files, and adding custom filters to disable individual rules in the filter lists.

Now that we've added syncing to the advanced settings in Project Sprint, though, we really should rethink how we're handling them. I'll pass this on to the team.

I've also notified our support system vendor about the reCAPTCHA mixup. Hopefully, they'll be able to get it straightened out soon!

:) Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Login or Signup to post a comment