Start a new topic

Whitelist non-animated ads

I don't block ads because they're ads. I block ads because they're animated: I cannot read articles next to an animation.

Some of my favourite sites keep asking to whitelist them. I'd like to, but would then be unable to read half the content.

I know this is a long shot, but I'd love to see adblock auto-whitelisting websites that do not use any animation in their ads. Of course, they should be able to declare something like that and it takes some work on the side of adblock. But still, it's feasible.

Thing is, I don't know how many people have the same issue with animated ads as I do, therefor I don't know if such a feature would be worth the effort. 

Hi again!

We don't know of any way to selectively block only animated ads. While it can be easy for a human to distinguish between an animated ad and a static ad, it's much trickier for a computer to do so.

We do have a possible solution, however: Turn on the Acceptable Ads option if you haven't already. Animated ads are not allowed under the Acceptable Ads guidelines. This will allow you to support websites that serve non-intrusive ads, while not having to put up with animated ads.

Hope this helps!

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Hi Matthijs,

Thanks for your suggestion! It's an interesting idea. I'll pass it along to our developers to see how feasible it would be.

Stay tuned!

Rhana Cassidy

AdBlock Community Manager

Login or Signup to post a comment