Start a new topic

going to have Product Ads

Hello,

I have a website that is going to have Product Ads , but they are off by default and the user has the option to turn them on in order to get additional rewards. To me, it sucks to have to label this as an ad supported websites since that infers required ads which will turn users off; however, I don't want to say "no" and then have Google blacklist me later for technically using Product Ads for a revenue stream by serving ads to those who ask for it.

I would think a lot of games in particular would run into this issue where they offer a user the option to watch an ad video in order to get virtual currency. Again, yes, the user can see ads, but it's up to them.

Anyone know? Be nice if someone from Google could chime in. Not sure how to contact them

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure how Google would handle that. Let me see what I can dig up for you. Hopefully, others who have been through this decision will chime in as well.

Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Hi Joe,

I think I might have seen some guidance on this somewhere myself, I'll see if I can remember where I saw it. I'll comment back here if I find anything.

In the meantime, I would like to offer what my own thoughts would be on this (though this isn't official and can't be relied on).

Personally, I don't know any reason as to why a website owner wouldn't be allowed to offer ad-free versions of their websites/services for their users. Services like Spotify (others are available too) are one example of this - you can use the free service if you don't mind the adverts every few tracks, or the paid service to remove them altogether.

I know that example is one that Google etc do allow you to do, but I'm not sure how it works for your example.

In some ways, I'm wondering if the Acceptable Ads program might be one possible option to solve this.

I'll dig through the help guides, there might be something on this somewhere.

Hey there, Really sorry to have left you waiting so long! Please note that I'm not a legal expert, and what I write here can't be taken as the official opinion of the AdBlock team or Google. I've been digging through my resources on this one, and you might be ok if you proceed with caution. My reasons are these: You're not forcing Advertising on every visitor You allow visitors to enable and disable Advertising at anytime You're not charging for access with any kind of paywall as such Visitors can see Advertising only if they want to I'm still investigating this one and I will update you when I can share more details
Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much (as always!!) for your help! :)

Warm regards,

Rhana
AdBlock Community Manager

Login or Signup to post a comment