Start a new topic

Switch from Shadow DOM v0 to Shadow DOM v1

It looks that AdBlock is using Shadow DOM v0 APIs, createShadowRoot().

Since Google Chrome is going to deprecate old Shadow DOM v0 APIs, I really appreciate if AdBlock could switch to use new Shadow DOM v1 APIs, attachShadow(), instead of old V0 APIs.

For more context, please see the following thread in blink-dev:

"Intent to Deprecate: Shadow DOM v0": ​https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/txIN7qDRFpU/iFTNP8adAgAJ

Note that I have also filed a similar request for AdBlock Plus here: https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4713#ticket 

Hi Hayato!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've passed it to our team for consideration.

Rhana

AdBlock Community Manager

Hi Hayato!

You'll be happy to know that AdBlock will be making this change in a future release. I'm not sure when it will be available, but I expect you won't have to wait too long. :)

Rhana

Hi, I just came here for status checking.

I am an engineer working on Blink project.

AdBlock Plus moved out of using Shadow DOM (neither V0 or V1) already for Chrome M66+

(which will be released to the stable channel later in this month).

They seem to use a solution using injecting user stylesheets.

(the extension API is available in M66, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=632009&desc=2).

We will be show console warning starting soon for any V0 Shadow DOM API usage, and

plan to remove the API as a whole in one year.

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Hi!

Thanks for the update. I'll pass it along to our team.

Warm regards,

Rhana

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Your message, "I expect you won't have to wait too long."  a year ago isn't realized yet in the Adblock product, so please make sure your dev team is aware of this.

Hi Takayoshi,

I've asked for a status update. I'll keep you posted!

Rhana

Any updates on this?

If not very concrete timeline, rough plan or any acknowledgement?

Hey Rhana,

Can we get a Status Update on this one? It seems that ABP are no longer using v0 and it sounds like Hayato and Takayoshi would like to Deprecate it by April next year.

Hi Takayoshi,

We'll be switching to V1 with our next major update. Our developers having begun working on it. We don't have an exact release date yet. I believe we're planning on finishing well before the end of summer.

(Edited note: Sorry, Matthew, I didn't see your note before I replied to Takayoshi. :)

Rhana

Thanks for the update!

We are looking forward to seeing it happen, and with the timeline AdBlock won't suffer from sudden

change of Shadow DOM v0 funcionality.

Hi there,

I just noticed you released v3.31 a few days back, which updates the ABP and it seems it's not using

Shadow DOM v0!

Thanks for your work!

Hi Takayoshi,

That's correct! I'm in the middle of writing a post about the release, in fact. You beat me to it!

:) Rhana

Login or Signup to post a comment